How to be brief personal statement editing?
How to be brief personal statement editing? See 2022 update
Being able to edit an essay quickly is very important for college students. The education system is designed to develop students’ ability to be brief in personal statement editing.
If you have difficulties with this, an essay writing editor is always ready to assist you. A professional essay editor will take into account all your wishes and help you prepare a high-quality essay.
We create texts every day: we write articles, letters, and social media posts. The last thing we think about is the quality of our work. And then we are surprised that the message does not reach its destination and the reader does not understand the depth of meaning.
If you want to communicate your thoughts to the readers in a clear, authoritative, and persuasive way, you need editing. In this article, we will discuss how to edit your work - with the help of a professional editor, a friend's proofreader, or by yourself.
There are rules for editing essays that should preferably be followed:
The 1st rule is to understand the scope of the work. For example, for social media the text should be bright and succinct, while for a book or article the artistic significance will come to the fore;
The 2nd rule is to take care of the reader. Break up the article into paragraphs, snippets, and key phrases;
The 3rd rule is that the main idea of the work is highlighted in font or another color;
The 4th rule is to read the text several times, there is always something to correct.
Main types of edits
The editor improves the form and content of the work. There are four known methods of editing:
1. Text proofreading
The purpose of proofreading is to compare the text with the original and to identify and eliminate errors. The editor's job in proofreading is to:
- correcting typos, errors, and misstatements;
- fact-checking: checking own names, numbers, dates, quotes, etc.
Proofreading is used when editing or proofreading official documents, and republishing books and historical materials.
The purpose of editing-shortening is to compress the work but retain the content. Such an edit is necessary:
- when you need to fit a text into a certain amount of space;
- if there is too much "water" in the work - repetition, excessive detail, length, etc.
3. Text processing
Editing-Processing is used more often than other types of editing. The editor uses text editing techniques such as
- redoing fragments;
- clarification of terms and wording;
- the construction of a general logic;
- the selection of arguments and justifications.
The nuances of the style of the work are preserved, and the edits themselves are agreed upon with the author.
If the work is written in poor literary languages, such as memoirs, scholarly books, or articles, an edit editor is used. In doing so, the editor retains the consistency of the material, the stylistics, and the logic of the author.
Self-reading and self-editing techniques
Every author wants to be understood and read - so self-editing skills are needed for everyone who writes. Articles and books are read by living people who are interested in the form and content of the work. By self-editing a work, you will correct it:
- mistakes and typos;
- a morphological inconsistency;
Let's look at the basic techniques of self-reading:
- Read aloud to find mistakes and irregularities in rhythm and tautology. Read the text aloud several times and your tongue will stumble over a misspelled sentence;
- reading from the end of the piece will allow you to perceive each phrase separately, without slipping through the meaning of the text. In this way, you will clear each sentence more thoroughly;
- find a beta reader. Ask a friend to read your work. People's perceptions are different and the other person will notice flaws;
- read the text after the break. Taking a break will help you look at the work with different eyes. Your brain will forget how you worked on the text and see things you didn't notice or missed before.
You can edit the text yourself using the tips in our article, or you can seek help from professionals.